Friday, October 28, 2011

NEXT book for Karen Blumenthal: Bio of Steve Jobs

Guess what?
I just read (yesterday!) that our guest author is writing a brand new nonfiction book for young people that will be published in February (2012)-- it's a biography of Steve Jobs. (She's working on other projects, too, but this book has moved to the top of her list.) Here's the story:

From the Children's Bookshelf of PUBLISHER'S WEEKLY (Oct. 27, 2011)
"Steve Jobs Bio for Kids Due in February"
By Sally Lodge
Oct 27, 2011

Macmillan’s Feiwel and Friends will issue what publisher Jean Feiwel describes as "truly an instant book" on February 14, when it releases Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal. Framed by Jobs’s inspirational 2005 Stanford commencement speech and illustrated with photos, the biography emphasizes how this late computer pioneer’s life was never predictable: he dropped out of college after a single semester and, at the age of 20, launched Apple in his parents’ garage with his friend Steve Wozniak. Aimed at readers 12-up, the biography has an adult counterpart in Walter Isaacson’s Steve Jobs, released this week by Simon & Schuster and currently #1 on Amazon.

"I think Steve Jobs is one of the most important figures of our generation," says Feiwel of her decision to publish the biography. "He is of interest to kids not just for the computers, iPads, and iPods he created, but for who he was and how he lived his life. He was a visionary who was very complicated, and he had his ups and downs, which makes him very human and appealing."

Several days after Jobs’s death on October 5, Feiwel tapped Blumenthal to write the biography. The author is a journalist for the Wall Street Journal and has written a number of nonfiction books for young readers, most recently . "Karen has also written about Jobs previously, so she had already conducted quite a bit of research on him," Feiwel says. "And as a journalist she certainly understands a tight deadline. We wanted to make sure that this would be a worthy biography by someone with excellent credentials."

Isn't that exciting? And she is still squeezing in a chat with us!

Posted by Sylvia Vardell

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what an engaging subject to be called upon to highlight! I look forward to reading Blumenthal's depiction of Steve Jobs and his many accomplishments. After reading her book on Sam Walton, I am sure this new book will be thorough and clear. Furthermore, I would just like to note that Karen Blumenthal is an author I admire for her ability to present accurate information in an enjoyable and leisurely manner. - Rachel Blackmon - grad student @ TWU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added this book to my Follett order for next year. It's already in their database. I'm very excited to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A children's biography about Steve Jobs will be received very well by children of all ages. I especially think that students who are showing excitement and skills in the computer fields already will benefit from reading a biography of someone outside of the "normal" celebrity realm. I am looking forward to reading this book! Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my high school students will love it because most of them stood in line on the day the new I-phone 4GS came out and were told the S stood for Steve. He is a great subject to write a biography about.

    Pamela Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this! I am a part of the generation that was deeply moved and affected by Steve Jobs and I look forward to knowing more about him. No doubt, generations in the future will also benefit from reading his story.
    As interesting and entertaining as Karen Blumenthal's books are, I can't wait to see what she does with a subject like this. I know it will undoubtedly become a necessary addition to classroom and public libraries everywhere!

    I forgot to add my full name :)
    Brittany Snyder, LS 5603

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this will be a fantastic addition. As a computer teacher, I would love to have this biography to add to my collection of technology books for the classroom.
    Steve Jobs opened the world up to Apple. People embraced his ideas. I have seen over the last few years what a difference the educational apps for iPad and iPods can bring to the classroom. His legacy will live on.

    Michelle Holloway

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome!! Steve jobs has been such an innovator in recent history and it's exciting that Mrs. Blumnethal is writing a biography on him!! A HUGE thanks for taking time to still "chat" with us during her hectic schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished reading Mr. Sam, and the idea of having the same author write about Steve Jobs is really exciting! I am also one of the generation that was moved by Jobs' work (I have had two MacBooks, two versions of the iPhone, and several iPods), and I would love to hear more about his life and influences, as I only know about his creations. I cannot wait to read this, and want to thank Ms Blumenthal for chatting with our class!

    -Cate Marshall LS 5603

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I think it is awesome that Mrs. Karen Blumenthal is writing a book about Steve Jobs. She has done an incredible job of writing about other historical events, so I will look forward to learning new information about Mr. Jobs.

    Keep writing great and interesting reads! We appreciate them, and thank you for taking the time to chat with us!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I read this post, I added this book as a recommendation in my review of Mr. Sam. I feel that Steve Jobs is, if anything, and even more fascinating person and businessman; one of the few people who seems to care much for quality merchandise these days, and he made a fortune selling it. The Apple model, in my opinion, easily ranks up there with Walmart's in the pantheon of successful business practices. Not only that, Jobs himself was a fascinating individual, who devoted his life wholly to advancing technology not just for business, but for pleasure as well. In light of his recent passing, I believe that children, now more than ever, should learn a little bit more about the man behind their iPods.

    Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Sam, I I eagerly anticipate the release of The Man Who Thought Different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just gone and added this book to my Follett wishlist! I am in the process of opening a K-12 library for a charter school and ALL of my students have a great interest in Steve Jobs, especially after his passing. Steve Jobs has been such an important part in most of these kids lives- my 5th graders were born the year the 1st iPod came out!

    I haven't had an opportunity to read many of Mrs. Blumenthal's books but the two I've read- Mr. Same and Let Me Play- are both fantastic. I can't wait to check this new one out in February!

    Kara Angell
    LS 5623

    ReplyDelete