Friday, October 21, 2011

~Six Days in October~

I read your book, “Six Days in October”. Even though my step-father has always had jobs that involved the Stock Market and is always discussing what happened on the New York Stock Exchange that day, I was never really interested in listening to his “speeches”. I chose to read “Six Days in October” because I felt it would give me a chance to understand what exactly it was my step-father had been discussing for all of these years.

I must say, even though I wasn’t interested at all in the Stock Market before reading your book, I was truly intrigued by the information that you presented in this book. The introductory information about life in the 1920’s helped me understand how exciting and carefree everyday life was during this time period. Your book helped me realize the devastating effects that Black Thursday had on the thousands of people who invested their life savings in the stock market, and the strides they had to take to keep themselves afloat trying to save their livelihoods after it crashed. I realized how much of an impact Wall Street had on the economy in the 1920’s and still does today. I found all of the personal information about well known people such as the Marx Brothers, Billy Durant, Mike Meehan, Richard Whitney, John D. Rockefeller, Charles E. Mitchell and Albert H Wiggin to be very informative, and helped me understand these individuals' dedication to the Stock Market.

Your book “Six Days of October” has given me a new interest in the Stock Market. I find myself paying attention to the stock exchange as it scrolls along the bottom of my TV screen when I watch the news. Most of all I appreciate the conversation that I now can have with my step-father that I couldn’t or didn’t care to have before, and I thank you for that.
Christi McCarty

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about the stock market when I began reading this book. I was uninterested and I knew very little about the stock market past or present. After reading this book I feel that I have learned so much not only about the stock market, but about our history and the impact the stock market had on history. Until reading this book I had never really thought about how much the stock market could really impact our daily lives and the lives of those around us. The laws passed in more recent years have helped so that such extreme situations as those in the 1920's does not occur again, but the stock market always will have an impact on our society.

    ReplyDelete