Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Let me Play

I just finished the book "Let me Play" and could not put it down until I finished it!

I have to admit I am not a history buff and I completely relate to Jennifer Capariti's comment about not knowing what Title IX was, because prior to reading your book I did not know either. It was such an eye opener and quite intriguing how there were such strong supporters behind the movement and quite disheartening to see and read about the opposition.

My favorite quote from the entire book was by Edith Green who says "if you can make every young girl know that there's no ceiling of expectations, that there is no height to which that young girl cannot go, she'll aspire to that." Truly inspiring!

1 comment:

  1. I too have to admit I didn't know about Title IX before reading this book. I have always thought of discrimination in terms of racial and as a historical and pivotal time in the 1960's. It never occurred to me that sex discrimination was still taking place during my lifetime. Going to elementary and middle school in the early 1980's means that women in my generation were some of the first to actually never know what it meant to be banned from sports or be told that you couldn't do something because you were a girl. I never knew how lucky I was.
    Posted by Jamie Baccaro

    ReplyDelete