Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Question Regarding Research

Ms. Blumenthal,

Thanks you for sharing your time with our literature class. I read Six Days in October as part of our coursework and was intrigued by the amount of research that went into documenting the life and times of the great stock market crash of 1929.

I aspire to write a book someday about a locally famous friend of my parents who lead a very intriguing life and is in the Cowgirl Hall of Fame.

My question for you is your method for keeping accounts, stories, pictures, interviews, etc. organized. I find the research aspect interesting but the organization of materials and the volumes you must go through to chose to include or to omit makes the task seem daunting though a rewarding one in the end.

Any secrets you would like to share would be appreciated.

Tammy Reed

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Blumenthal, as I also read Six Days in October, I had some of the same thoughts as Tammy about research and how to keep organized. I can imagine that the amount of research any author of historical fiction or nonfiction does is staggering, and I hope you have some secrets to share with us about how you manage the mountains of material it takes to create one of your books. (I'm working on my PhD, and already the research materials I've collected are taking over my world and I'm not even earnestly into the dissertation process! I think any tips you have for us would help with that, too!)

    Thanks so much for being with us during this unit!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete