Saturday, November 19, 2011

Let Me Play

Let Me Play
I enjoyed reading your article about photographs and cartoons in writing non-fiction. I can only imagine the research time that is spent searching for photographs for your books. As a photography fan, I am glad that my local public library has “scan days” for the local citizens to bring in their pictures and attach an explanation of the person and place to the photos.
In Let Me Play there are so many wonderful photographs that capture the essence of the time period and changing role of women in society. The political photographs are some of the most telling photographs with one of my favorites being the Kennedy Oval Office and the Equal Pay Act.
I wonder how many photos you initially had in Let Me Play and how instrumental you were personally, putting editors aside, in the final edition. The Title IX topic is such a controversial one, were there were many photos of female athletes from the time period?
Thank you for your time with Dr. Vardell’s class.

Laurie Kent

2 comments:

  1. One note within Ms. Blumenthal's article that caught my attention was, "It appears that the folks who commission and collected photographs, cartoons and other images were much more thorough and thoughtful about taking care of their collections when photographs were expensive and precious than they were when they became more common."

    I find this quite true. In the past photographs seemed to be much more treasured and great efforts were taken to maintain them. It was also tragic to read that photographs and negatives were thrown out. I am guilty of the same. However, I am hoping that the digital age will aid in the preservation of the past.

    ReplyDelete