Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Student Question

Dear Karen:

My name is Sylvia Pachecano and I am a student of Prof. Vardell's Advanced YA Literature class. I am also Teen Librarian in San Antonio, TX.

I love history, now as an adult. But as a teen (or even younger) I hated it. How do you response to those young students who think history is boring and find it a chore to study and read about it?

I can appreciate your work in educating the young through your books- so they might not need to rely on those "boring" textbooks.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I too did not like studying history when I was in school. I really enjoyed reading Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition and learned a lot about that time in history. If I had known about books like these when I was in school I think I would have liked history more. As librarians it is important we showcase historical books so that students can learn that all history is not boring. It is also important to collaborate with history teachers so they can use books to supplement their textbooks.

    Kathryn Anderson

    ReplyDelete